Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Tuesday, April 8

National Geographic Awards

GRAND PRIZE (35th annual event)-Kim Steininger-Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania.

Each year National Geographic holds an awards competition for the best Nature photo's. It is a competition for amateurs and professionals alike. Although I have to think that it would be best served to have TWO separate categories. But I guess their thought is, if your picture isn't professional quality, it isn't going to win anyway. But no reason amateurs can't take great pictures. Here is a link to the winners of the 35th annual event. They are currently accepting application for the 38th annual event.

The pictures in my last post were from competitions in the past. From various years. I do not know who took the pictures, but they were some of my favorites. I doubt they were all first place winners, but I am sure there might be one among them that placed well. You have to remember they have over 4000 contestants each year, and only one person can come in first place.

9 comments:

Burfica said...

That owl picture is AMAZING!!!! I love nature photo's as you can tell.

Dr.John said...

I loved the owl pictures but the others are great as well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Nea. You have just reinforced my conviction that despite all the pats I get, I am only a mediocre photographer.

Neoma said...

Hi Burfica, isn't it amazing.....it is one of those once in a lifetime shots, a split second shot. She took it just before she jumped out of the way, she says.

Neoma said...

Hi Dr. John, I love nature pictures.....they make for the most amazing photography.

Neoma said...

Hi Quilly, I know what you are saying, I feel the same way at times. Although I get many good shots, I have never taken anything that could equal any of these.....but we still try, and I guess that is the best thing. You never know when that great shot will present itsself.

Cindy said...

If that was flying toward me I'd be thinking about taking off like a shot, not getting a shot! I had a too close encounter once with an owl when I was a kid. But, the picture is amazing.

Ginco said...

Thanks for sharing that link Nea, those pics are fabulous!
Have a look at this: http://pixdaus.com/ I don't know if any of these are award winning pictures, but what you get to see here is out of this world!

Enemy of the Republic said...

Now you know how much I love images!