Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Saturday, August 9

August Night

I wish I had a laptop, so I could go outside tonight and work. I think I will call it a night and turn in early, I am not feeling like sitting in this chair one more minute. The weather has turned cool a surprise for an August night in the south. Usually the temperature does not go down at night, it just stays hot, hot, hot. But today it was a bit overcast, and cooler, and tonight it is just 70 degrees. That is balmy weather for Georgia in August. I cleaned the porch, swept and rearrange my flowers. They are looking nice, they love the humid warmth of summer. I don't have them in the direct sun, but they enjoy the bright light. After I swept, I pulled the exercise machine out of the garage and put it up in the corner of the porch. Everyone is always wishing it were somewhere that it could be used, well now it is.

My neighbor just lost his wife 9 weeks ago. She died suddenly from congestive heart failure. She had been a heavy smoker all her life, and she had diabetes, cirrhosis of the liver, and congestive heart failure. He is going to put his house on the market for sale tomorrow. He was outside cleaning it and getting things ready for the Real Estate people. He had just moved in about two months before his wife passed away. He said he is taking a $30,000. loss on the whole deal. If he could just hold onto it for another year, I have a feeling things will improve, but he said no, he wants to move. His kids live in Texas and he has another home in Florida, so he is making two house payments. He said he is going to list them both for sale, and then he will live in the one that doesn't sell. I am not sure how he knows that this one is going to sell first.

We are all wishing for rain, our yards need a good pouring rain. We have had a few light showers, but nothing of any significance in the last week or so. It will start and then stop in just a few minutes. So I still have to water the flowers. I am going to work in the yard tomorrow if it stays cool like it was today.

The baby birds must have hatched out in the nest in the hanging light on the porch, because the momma bird is going back and forth with food. So I can't go out on the back porch to sit right now. She is too afraid to come in and feed her babies. So I have been sitting out on the front porch. I prefer the back, I don't like being a spectacle, and that is how I feel sitting in the front. People going by always look your way and check you out. In the back it is totally private. I don't know if the cat is going to end up eating her babies anyway, it might all be sacrifice for nothing, I don't see how they are going to get up off the ground and in flight before the cat gets them. They better learn to fly, fast!

4 comments:

Queenie said...

We have lots and lots of rain here Nea, I just want a bit of sunshine!!!!!
You look gorgeous in that photo on your last post.

Anonymous said...

Fly little birdies, fly!

You know, cats will be cats.

Neoma said...

Hi Queenie, we are having to water, no rain in days, we got one little sprinkle the other day, but it didn't last long enough to do much good for the garden.

That picture was taken when I was 18.......I still feel like that girl...

Neoma said...

Hi Quilly, my cat lives here...the birds are just visiting....so they are the ones that are going to have to watch out. He came first. But I don't want them to get eaten, so I spend a lot of time trying to get him out and in without seeing them.