Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Wednesday, August 27

College

My daughter went for college orientation today and signed up for her classes. She has the Hope Grant and the Hope Scholarship which is money made available to A+ students, and can be used for college within the State of Georgia. If you go out of state to college it doesn't apply. It is paid for by our lottery, and it is totally free to any student that maintains good grades all the way through high school. I seriously doubt that Nick will be able to get one, but he will try. It is pretty hard to keep your grades up to where they need to be to get the Hope Scholarship, for four full years. But Ana is a high achiever and she did it.

She is going to work and go to school, she got her classes so that they do not conflict with her work schedule. She was going to wait to go down for orientation, and I advised her to go the first day, because with classes it is first come first serve. She doesn't actually begin until October. She opted for the fall schedule which gave her the summer and another couple of months off.

I am having a good day. I ate rice and applesauce yesterday. That is my food of choice after I have been glutened. It seems to be easiest on my intestines and stomach. Another of the problems that goes with Celiac's is terrible acid reflux. And after I have been glutened, it seems my whole system has been scalded. So anything with vinegar or citrus burns from my mouth to............well the whole system. Obviously, as the wheat protein eats away the vilia of my intestines, it leaves them raw inside. Not a pretty picture.

So today, I eat only food that is mild and easy on the stomach, and in very small portions. Needless to say I have been losing weight. My Dr. always thought that Celiac's patients would be thin. He admitted that he didn't really know that much about the disease, he only knows three people with Celiac's. Well I joined a Celiac's self help group, and far more are overweight than thin, the reason being you eat because you are always hungry. When you begin to once again get some nutrition from your food, your appetite goes way down. Or anyway mine did. I have lost close to 20 pounds since April.

No comments: