
It is now 2011. My how quickly the time passes. My Grand-kids are growing up so fast. The eldest, Darrin Jr, just graduated from High School. I am not close to my eldest son's children. Partly because I am not that close to my eldest son, partly because they are so far away. I remember once years ago, when I was 40 and I was married for the third time, and I was having my 4th child. My Mom said, "well, don't expect me to get close to this child." It was hurtful yes, but I understood what she meant. Once you reach a certain age, and you realize that you aren't going to see them that often, or at all.......you just protect yourself from hurt. It really isn't intention, it is just realistic, you know that when you live thousands of miles away, unless your kids make the effort to keep you in your grand-kids sight, they are not going to even know who you are.
I recently returned from the Graduation and as I was watching DJ graduate I realized I didn't really know anything about him. Over the years I had received very few pictures, hardly any personal anecdotes about his growing up. Whose fault is that? I don't know, maybe my kids, maybe mine, but regardless of where the blame lies, we are not close and he hardly knows me.
When I was growing up my Grandmother lived with us and she was such a big part of my life. It is the kids who suffer by not getting to know their grandparents, trust me in this....I have six grand-kids, I am close to only two of them. And it saddens me, but what can I do. I try, but aside from sending gifts and going out to visit each year there is relative little contact. Facebook helps. It lets me in on a little of their life.
I thank my daughter-in-law, Jennie, who is married to Trevor everyday, for keeping me in her son's life. He knows who I am, she makes sure of that. Thank you Jennie.......

No comments:
Post a Comment