Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Saturday, January 19

Georgia "Red Birds"


We are deep into winter and I woke up this morning to snow! All of my tender flowers have frozen down to the ground and those that don't completely freeze have a tinge of red and purple in their leaves. The yard has a totally different appearance than it does in the summer or spring, but I also enjoy it in its current state. The yard is full of birds because I have seven or eight feeders that I keep full, and four birdbathes. I also feed the squirrels, they have their own three feeders with lids that snap shut when the squirrel pulls his head out after grabbing a peanut or sunflower seed. Early morning I can hardly sleep with all the racket in the yard. Now is the time of year that the a "red birds" come in pairs and there is hardly a time that I don't see a couple sitting in the tree just outside my bedroom window.

I like winter, it is a time of rest and repair, when both the garden and I can sit back and relax. Oh, there are things to do, pruning, and rearranging rocks and bulbs if I so choose, but if I don't want to do anything, I don't really have to, it will just wait for another day. There is much out there that I want to do, but for now I am content to just sit and watch the red birds chasing one another across the yard.

14 comments:

Akelamalu said...

What a beautiful bird! It must be lovely just sitting watching all the wildlife in your yard Nea. I'm not a winter person at all - I love Spring and Summer when all the garden comes back to life. :)

Avus said...

Red feathers against white snow - must be impressive.

Cindy said...

You have these beautiful cardinals, Margie has bluebirds at http://mistressofthemoonlight.wordpress.com and I have cats,so alas,no pretty birds to watch.

Neoma said...

Hi cindy, I took down the curtains in the lving room to wash them, and haven't gotten them bak up yet, so I see more of the yard lately. I hate to put them back up. haha. I have a bandaide on my finger, makes typing really hard, so forgive the typos'.

Neoma said...

Hi Avus, we have sunshine and birds, both make winter bearable. We don't have those sunless bleak days very often. don't be fooled it is darn cold out there right now, but it looks warm. It is 2:00pm and only 28 degrees F. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Neoma said...

Hi Akela, I just love my birds, and now that the people across the street moved and took their 8 cats I don't have to sit on the back porch with my beebee gun anymore. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE CATS. But I don't let them eat my birds. I wouldn't hurt a cat, but I sure scare them plenty......but it did no good they were out there every morning sitting under the bird feeders hoping for a snack......my cat doesn't go out in the winter, his little footsies get to cold, I guess. haha

Dr.John said...

It sounds beautiful. We don't have a garden but our back yard is covered with snow and looks beautiful but its cold,We are visited by a rabbit that drives the dog nuts. She trys to catch it but is far too slow.

Lo Kelween said...

nice mohawk! hehe

Nea, i tagged you for a little linky love, hope you will check out at my blog! :)

Libby said...

beautiful, nea!! i like cardinals..but i like mean, grumpy blue jays better...hmmmm, what's that say about me??

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

The Cardinal looks like a Bluejay. Reading this post Nea brought back so many wonderful memories of my Dad and how he'd feed the birds in Winter. The squirrels would come and visit as well, all were welcome at Dad's bird feeders. Dad had the chickadee's so tame they sit on his finger and take the seeds from his other hand.

Thanks you for the wonderful memories

Neoma said...

HI Libby, I love them all, even the black crows, I feed them all, and don't care who eats. My Mom liked the "pretty" birds, but didn't have time for a wren or a blackbird. haha

blue jays are rasty, but they are fun and I love to watch them bathe....they splash and have the best time in the birdbathes....

Neoma said...

Hi Bill, I guess as we get older we get closer and cloers to nature, or at least I do, although I was always a bit of a nature girl, but as I grow older i prefer animals, to people. They are less trouble, haha. SEriously, I see myself in my old age being called "that crazy bird lady." Or the crazy cat lady. One or the other. haha

bettygram said...

Beautiful picture. I have been noticing the birds in my yard more. I don't have a bird feeder because of the dog. She may not catch the rabbit but she has caught a bird.

Cindy said...

Like the new look!