Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Sunday, March 2

Gardening

I spent the day out in the yard gardening. I take short breaks in between pulling weeds and pruning to just sit on the porch and watch the birds and the sunshine. Found out today that my neighbors are moving. They have three kids under five, and she is expecting another in September. They are nice people, but they sure are eager to have a large family. haha No one my age will be moving in there because it is a split level and you have to either go up one flight of stairs or two flights of stairs from any door that you enter. Long ways to carry groceries. I know for a fact that it doesn't appeal to people over 50. But I sure hope whoever does move in are nice people. We have great neighbors on the left side, now if we just get more good neighbors on the right. This will be the third sale on that home in three years. People just don't stay there very long because it is a difficult house with no yard. The place is built on a steep hill and it just drops off into a gully right outside the back door. The people who were looking at it today were talking about what they could do with the back yard. I doubt they will be back. They are just asking way to much considering the problems with the house.

I was good friends with the lady who lived their first, but when she moved I just never made any effort to get to know the second family that moved in. I have turned into a bit of a recluse lately. I was outside today and she was taking her kids on a walk so she stopped to talk for awhile and I found out that she is pregnant and they are moving. She said that her husband's family lives in Illinois and they want to be close to them when the new baby is born. I think they need a free babysitter. haha I know I would if it were me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we could only pick our neighbors ...

Akelamalu said...

We've had the same neighbours for 29 years! I'd be worried if either of them moved wondering who we would get in their place. These are family houses but the all the neighbours children have grown up and left home now but you can be sure if one came empty it would be a family with children that moved in. I love children as long as they're well behaved - not guaranteed these days!

Avus said...

There! Just as you start getting to know them, they are leaving. I knew absolutely everyone in our village, when a young boy (and a lot of their private business too!) Now we live on a large housing estate and I only know the people on either side of me. We seem to partition our lives these days.

Neoma said...

Hi Quilly, yes, wouldn't that be nice, if we could have the final say as to who moves in next door. haha.

Everyone has been fine except one neighbor down the street, and they just moved out a month ago and the poeple who moved in are such an improvement....

Neoma said...

Hi akela, I don't think that anyone will stay here for all that long except us and my neighbor on the left. We have both been here going on 8 years. Everyother house on the street is either on it's second or third family. The reasons are varied, but these are basically starter homes. Nice, but very afordable and near schools. As family grows, they all seem to move on, and we start out with little kids again. I enjoy children, but I do see why some people choose to live in retirement projects. The noise some days gets pretty loud. One family across the street have four under the age of five, and the one who is moving has three and one on the way, under five. And they are screamers. I take a nap everyday about 4, and lately and in the summer, I just can't sleep it is so loud.

Neoma said...

Hi Avus, that is how it was for me also when I was growing up. I lived in a small lumber town everyone knew everyone and all of their business. but it was nice to see people you knew everyday. back in those days people visited and got to know their neighbors. Nowdays it seems to me that their is more of a trend NOT to know your neighbors. People are more selective of who they talk to andthey are almost secretive. But I guess it is the times. I know as I get older I branch out less and less.