Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Tuesday, August 19

Dog Days of Summer

The weatherman says it is only 91 degrees today, but it sure feels a lot hotter than that outside. I tried to go out a bit ago, and the heat hit me in the face like from an oven. Maybe somedays I just feel the heat more than others. So I guess I will be staying inside most of this day. It makes it hard because I really don't like to have to stay inside. I prefer to be able to putter in the yard. And there is always much to do. I am working on a flower bed on the hillside in the front yard, between the neighbors house and ours. That house has had three different owners since we moved here, and not one of them gives a darn how their yard looks. But that is kind of the norm here, if they keep the grass mowed that is about the most you can expect. No one seems to be into flowers of any kind. A few shrubs that need no upkeep right in front of their houses. But nothing with any color. I miss the street that I lived on when I was a kid, everyone had flowers. I didn't really think about it at the time, but I think women were more into flowers years ago. Now women all work, and have very little time for that kind of thing. I am missing my grandma today. I think about her often and wish I could take her on a walk through my flowers. She loved flowers, really loved them....and she knew all of their botanical names. Me, I am lucky if I know their common names. I plant them, I don't always remember what I planted. My neighbor is constantly asking me the names of the flowers in my yard, most I know, but there are some that I don't. I guess I should look them up, but I doubt I would remember. For years I have had a relatively bad memory......didn't know exactly why. And then found out that Celiac's Disease effects the memory. I guess if you aren't getting proper nutrition, your brain goes on the fritz along with everything else. The list of parts of the body Celiac's effects is long, but then why wouldn't it be. It takes food to keep the "engine" running, and if you can't absorb anything from your food, which I haven't been able to do for years, everything stops working efficiently.

No comments: