Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Thursday, October 9

Unpacking Memories

Tonight I unpacked boxes of things that I brought back from Effie. It is hard to find places to put them here, this house is much smaller, and I already have it pretty full. So I guess I will get some plastic containers and repack items that I really don't need, and put them in storage. Maybe someday the kids might want them. It was nice to bring them home, somethings I have had for over 50 or more years, so it was nice that I was able to save them, but as with most material possessions, as you grow older, instead of getting more, it is time to start thinning things out. So I am going to pack away some of the things here that don't mean that much to me, and replace them with heirlooms that I brought home from Effie.

Well it is time for bed, past time for bed....we, the husband and I get movies from Netflix and after the kids go to bed we watch movies. It is something that we have found that we enjoy. We are also going to get bikes and go riding on the bike path down by the river. We have a hard time finding things that we both enjoy that we can do together. We are so different. He loves to shop, I hate it, I love to garden, he doesn't care to be outside that much. He loves Sci-Fi, me, NO! It has been a hard marriage from the get go because we are just such very different. To call us soul mates would be a mighty stretch. But we have the kids in common, and our life for the last 10 years has revolved around the kids. We do not have sexual intimacy in our marriage, that we gave up long ago. He would like to get it back, me, well, I gave my heart to someone else about eight years ago, and for me it isn't that easy to back peddle. I have to FEEL intimate to actual BE intimate, and not sure I can do it with him. Isn't it strange? Well it is just the way it is. The last time I was intimate was something like three years ago. Do I miss it, yes, but it has to be with the right person. Can we get it back in our marriage, only time will tell. Do I love him, yes, of course, but it is a different kind of love. One that doesn't hinge on passion. It is the kind of love you have for someone that you have known for many years and you are comfortable to be around.

I have often wondered just how much passion people have for each other once they have reached a certain age. I know that love is going to be there, but passion. Somehow I have to think that as we grow older, passion is replaced by care, concern and a need for sleep.