Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Friday, June 13

Flooding in Georgia

The other night, can't remember which one, but I think it was two days ago we got flooded. This is the first time this has happened and it happend for three reasons. Too much rain, two inches in an hour, to much dirt has washed down from the neighbors, filling up my creek, and Lou dug himself a nice little "hole" to sleep in on hot days under the overhang of the house.

So this last deluge the water pooled up under the side of the house directly above Ana's bedroom and the water proceeded to run down the cement wall and into her room. She went to the basement to go to bed, and she was going splosh, splosh, splosh. At first I was afraid that the pipes had broken, but there was no water down the wall, or on the ceiling, just the rug was standing in water.

I have one of those carpet steam cleaners and I took the shampooing part off, and started soaking up water. I must have emptied the resevoir about 100 times. Then I got every fan in the house and put them all going in her bedroom along with the dehumidifier. And then looked at the clock, it was 5am. I had spent all night doing this.

I got up the next day and decided I need to find out why this had happened, and I came to the conclusion it was a combination of the happenings that I mentioned already, plus the fact that the rain gutters badly needed cleaning out. So today I dug out the creek, I took wheel barrows of dirt out of the creek and used it to grade the side of the house where Lou had dug his hole. Then I cleaned out the rain gutters. Oh first before I put the dirt next to the house, I pulled back all the dirt that was there, and I painted the side of the house with a sealant that keeps moisture out. All in all this took me the better part of six or seven hours. I didn't actually get done until 9:30.

I am going to keep my fingers crossed during the next rain storm. This is the first time this had happened in eight years, so I am pretty sure that I figured out corrected what the problem was, if not, I better keep that shampooer handy...And Ana better keep her important papers up off the rug.....

14 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm glad you turned your comments back on! Hope everything gets dried out ok- what a pain. About the only thing that got flooded here was my box garden, but it did drain out eventually and all the plants seem to be none the worse for wear.

Neoma said...

Yeh, I guess blogging is a bit senseless without them, :):)

We are in for some more rain it looks like, but hopefully not as much or as heavy as the last one.

Boy ole Iowa City is sure getting it right now.....river still rising.....glad I don't live there.

Most of my plants are fine, because we have good drainage, if nothing else it runs off into the basement, haha....(live on a hill.)

Anonymous said...

I know healthy people who balk at doing half the work you do when sick! I hope the storming -- or at least the storm puddling -- if finished with your basement.

Neoma said...

Hi Quilly, yeh, when I am feeling good it isn't a problem really, but I haven't been all that well. I will get better and then I will make a mistake and eat something with wheat in it, and then the backache returns, the headache, the pain in my side. And I spend the better part of the night and the next day visiting the restroom. Sometimes I never figure out what it was that I ate, but I know it was something. They put wheat in so many things that they really wouldn't have to. That day, aside from working to hard in the heat, I was feeling pretty good, and then yesterday I ate some salad dressing that obviously had wheat in it, so yesterday and last night were not fun. Then today I am tired out. But if I use my head and be careful I am safe. I have gotten to the point I don't eat much unless it says gluten free right on the package. I can have meat, fruit and veggies safely.....but got to leave most processed things alone.

We didn't get that rain today. So things are beginning to dry out a bit.

Louisiana said...

that was a long night and i hope you don't have another like it. we had our house flooded back a few yrs back and it was something i rather never repeat again for many reasons.

i hope that you and all others in the area stay with dry floors.

sorry you are not feeling well. hope this wknd went well and you are a bit stronger.

love from us here. hugs.

Neoma said...

Hi Chana, no rain since.......we just got that one bad storm. I have done a lot of work out there, and hopefully the next storm we will be better prepared. I have had a couple rough days, I always manage to eat something that has wheat.......this time, it was envelopes, I sent out Ana's graduation thankyou's, and I licked the envelopes. Forgot they have gluten. Man it made me ill.....wheat is in everything.....

hugs. xoxo nea

Louisiana said...

feel well hon. no more licking envelopes, lol.

hugs xo.

Avus said...

So, Lou still manages to remind you of himself! I bet he's laughing way over the "Rainbow Bridge".

Dr.John said...

Now we would have fumed and worried about it for weeks while you just figured out what was wrong. You cleaned, dug, and painted and that should be that.

Neoma said...

Hi Chana, No, NO more licking envelopes. The reason I even figured it out........one had fallen to the floor, I missed it, when I went to put it to my mouth to lick it, I remembered all of a sudden, someone had told me, DO NOT lick envelopes, they have gluten. and then I remmebered the day before I had licked no less than a dozen, without even a thought......Yikes....it really got me....

Neoma said...

Hi Avus, yes, he does, and I think I didn't cover up his hole, because I have so little left that reminds me of him. I have gradually gotten rid of almost everything. So when I saw the hole, I just left it, it is under the overhang, so I didn't feel it would be a problem, and it wouldn't have if the creek hadn't overflowed.....

I still miss Lou......but have decided to not get another dog.

Neoma said...

Hi Dr. John, I certainly hope so, nothing like water rising in the house to make you stress......my daughter was a basket case.......her stuff was getting wet.....haha. She wasn't worried about the rug. Or the house, just her papers, and they were important ones TOO, she said I told her, maybe you should put them in the file cabinet instead of leaving them on the floor, then.......maybe?

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Hi Nea ~ Glad that the comments are back. Hope that you got everything dry or is in the process of being dry.

One more day then I am looking forward to having something new to do

Neoma said...

Hi Bill, I know that you must be very excited. I am so happy for you. I know that you will enjoy your new job. Keep me posted.....:):) on how everything is going. It will be a bit hectic for awhile, no doubt, but soon you will have it all worked out and I am sure it will be a great relief to be outside on the road instead of all couped up in an office.