Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Saturday, February 20

Looking Towards Spring

Squeaky

Mr. Purdy

I have not been doing much lately, just watching the Olympics and playing computer games. I have projects started, yet I seldom work on them in winter. I think I will, and then realize that the basement is not very warm this time of year. I was going to buy a little electric fireplace to put down there, but unfortunately I waited until too late in the season. It appears that in Feb. you buy air conditioners here in the south. Because that is what they have for sale in both Home Depot and Lowe's. I guess it is the end of the heater season....even though our temperatures seldom are above freezing right now. So the basement is probably in the high 50's. Just a bit too cold for comfort. When the kids go down there to watch TV they wrap up in blankets. So I am really looking forward to getting the downstairs finished so we have another place to go to watch TV. With four of us, everyone wants to watch something different. Me, I just let the majority pick what we watch and if I don't like it, I ignore it and work on the computer.

My newest little kitty cat is doing pretty well. She has leukemia, which she will have for all her life. It isn't something they get rid of or out grow. And there are days when she doesn't feel well. Today is one of them, and all she does is sleep. On days when she feels well she runs and plays just like any little kitten.

Just before I got the call that Mom was in the hospital, I adopted this little kitten. She was wandering around in the backyard, sneezing and crying, and eating our compost garbage. I felt so sorry for her because it was getting down to 17 degrees at night, so I brought her in. She could hardly breathe she had such a bad upper respitory infection. So I took her to the vet. He did some blood tests on her and found the virus, leukemia. At one time they thought it a death sentence for a cat, most died within three years. But my vet said he had a cat with the virus who lived for 15 years, so not to write her off.

We had her on many different antibiotics for six weeks, she has been spayed, her ears were de-mited, she had drops for her eyes, and she was de-wormed. All in all, she has become a VERY expensive kitten. She is a beautiful little kitten now.....the sneezing has stopped, and she seems to be recovering well from all her illnesses and surgery. But she will always be a house cat, it would not be a good idea for her to roam outside, she will always have a compromised immune system and be susceptible to infections.

She likes people and loves to be sleeping close to us.....but she drives my other cat, Mr. Purdy, nuts because she always wants to play and he is way to old for that kind of frivolity. When she gets really playful, he wants to retreat to the out of doors... He is an outside cat, and he is also looking forwards to spring and lazing around in the garden. Right now he must stay inside also, because he just had a growth removed from his back, and has stitches, and isn't supposed to be outside for the next two weeks...

No comments: