Off The Beaten Path

My photo
Georgia, United States
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.

Monday, December 29

Christmas 2014

When we are young our Christmas's seem golden.    When I was a child we didn't have a lot of money, so we got two presents, one a toy and one of clothes.   Even with our limited income our Christmas was so much fun.   I always loved Christmas.

I do not know what happened to me,  somewhere along the way I have lost my Christmas spirit.  This year was the very worst of all.  I couldn't work up the energy to even haul out many of my decorations,  I finally got a tree up,  because I love to sit in the evening in the quiet when everyone has gone to bed and just stare at the tree.   But as I have grown older it seems that Christmas just makes me sad.   I think of Mom,  all the meals she cooked for us and how much we enjoyed them,  never to be eaten again.  I cook the same meal and mine is just as good as hers, but still I miss her meals.  

Of my five children only two are close enough to always be here for Christmas.  Although my son Trevor has been coming  here for quite a few years now.  This year his wife is expecting a baby and didn't want to travel so it was especially quiet here this Christmas.   Ana usually comes home a few days early and brings out a lot of the decorations,  but it didn't happen this year, so all that was out was what I put out, and it wasn't very much.

I cooked my meal and we opened our presents and then I went back to cooking.  We didn't eat this year until almost 9.  I got a very late start because we stayed up so late the night before.   My daughter who usually brings with her a bit of extra Christmas spirit seemed to have left hers at home this year.   She came and slept,  ate and then went back to sleep, then got up and left.    I guess her thoughts were elsewhere.

I am not promising to do better next year,  I can not make that promise.    I am tired and without the energy that I once possessed, who knows how I will feel next year.  I take it one day at a time.




1 comment:

Ginco said...

Hi Nea, it is wonderful to see you on the blog again,,,, i left you a Long comment... but sending it was a Mission.... never mind - wishing you a wonderful new yesr. Let's see if this message goes thru. Love and hugs Ginco